tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 07 12:16:46 1997

KLBC-Basic Phrases

>> 2.  "Can I get you another item?"

> {latlh} MEANS "another one," so you don't need to specify another what.
Just say {latlh}.

  But this would seem to mean another of the same thing; which is too limiting.
So, if I wanted to say "another item" or "something else" I would need to
phrase it slightly differently, I think.

>Now, you seem to have had problems with "can."  It's not surprising.  Do you
>literally mean it in English?  Imagine the answer: "Why, yes, I can!"  No,
>you're asking if the person *wants* something else.  Use that word instead.

  Makes sense.

>latlh DaneH'a'?
>Do you want another?

  But how would I add the opportunity to ask for an extra item?

>Notice the {-'a'} on the verb?  When asking a yes/no question, that should go
>at the end of the main verb.  See TKD 4.2.9 and 6.4.

  Right. I can remember that, now that you pointed it out! It is so easy to
forget all the rules when struggling newly at this.

>> 3.  "Come back again (and see us)"

>so why not make it,
>tugh yIchegh!
>Return soon!

   Sounds good. This is a good basis for reviewing the book again. Nice to
have a sounding board for my first struggles!

>batlh tlhIngan Hol DaHoDchoHta'!  majQa'!

  "honour Klingon language you-Captain/change-it" "well done!"

 I don't know what that first phrase would translate to.
Is it a demand to honour the Klingon language by changing it? I have
certainly done that with my first feeble interpretations, but that is hardly
a good thing.
And why am I a captain?

And why do I feel as if I have rather a lot of people snickering at me just
now...

---

Back to archive top level