tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 03 19:33:17 1997

Re: KLBC: New Words - magic, magician

ja' Jim LeMaster:
>As I began all this, I'll enter my cha DeQ:

It's spelled {cha'}.  The letter {'} is just as important as {p}; don't
ignore it.  You've accidentally said something about "torpedos' credit".

>My definition of magic is: "Control of unknown/unknowable forces by
>ritual sayings, dances, or gestures."

HoS SeHbogh taymey Daqellaw'.  qatlh 'ut taymeyvam?
rut HoS SeH yab neH, qar'a'?

Why is "ritual" required?  Can't simple force of will suffice?

>In and of itself 'magic" is
>neutral, an elemental force.  It's use then denotes it as either "black"
>or "white", though to my way of thinking, evil rituals (human sacrifice,
>etc.) can only do black magic.

ram vuDlIj.  ghaytan tay mIghmo' chen ta' mIgh, 'ach jISaHbe'.

Your "way of thinking" is irrelevant to trying to describe magic using
the vocabulary of the Klingon language.  (Who is to define "evil"?)

>I've argued in another space that I feel my word "cham" is a real word
>for 'technology', if no one else likes my other creations, so be it.

mu'na'mey chenmoHlaH pagh jay'!  bIH tu'laH "Marc Okrand" neH.
qatlh raH mu'mey chenmoHtaH taghwI'pu', wej mu'tay'na' SovtaHvIS?

The real problem is that *none* of us is qualified to "create" words!
There seems to be a fundamental force of nature that compels beginners
to attempt to expand the vocabulary even before they have explored the
boundaries of what already exists.

>I feel that the qa' SeHwI' ("Controller of Spirits") for witch (gender
>neutral) and  *qa' HoS* ("Spirit Power") for magic don't convey the
>power of magic by my definition. I would put 'Shaman' for qa' SeHwI'.

vaj "magic" delbogh mu'tlhegh yI'ogh SoH.  'ach mu'mey tI'oghQo'!

Then come up with a way to describe magic *without* inventing words.

qaD:
>For my own part, I challenge all my doubters of cham to give me a
>translation for Clark's Theorem:
>
>Any technology,sufficiantly advanced, becomes indistinguishable from
>magic!

tej val tojlaH 'Itlhqu'bogh QeD.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level