tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 02 12:05:01 1997

Re: "-lu'"

At 08:17 02/03/97 -0800, qoror wrote:

> I'd like to know:  where should you put the main noun in a passive sentence
> with "-lu'"?
[...]

The "main verb" in this situation is the object (as the subject is
indefinite or unknown), and thus to be correct it should appear before
the verb.

> In English, it is considered the subject, and in Latin, it is in the
> nominative, which is almost always the subject.  (In the rare other
> usages, it is the appositive.)  But I've noticed in jatmey and other
> sources (but no canonical ones) that it is sometimes put at the beginning
> of the sentence.

And in TKD:  naDev puqpu' tu'tu'  (someone finds children here)
Or, "There are children here"

> It is called the subject (in English) because you need
> to have a subject and a verb to make a whole sentence.  Sometimes the
> subject is implied, such as imperative sentences, and that would exception
> would have to work more with Klingon.  But how does Klingon work with the
> passive voice?

In English the subject is someone/something and it is implied the same
way "you" is in the imperative, such as the first translation above.

Qapla'
voqHa'wI'

[email protected], http://mailhost.net/~fprefect
# IT'S A SMEGGING GARBAGE POD!!
#     -- Rimmer, Red Dwarf I-4 "Waiting For God"

Back to archive top level