tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 20:25:19 1997

Re: KLBC: The first time, Grammar check

[email protected] on behalf of peHruS wrote:

> {jIlengDI'} tam {jIlengpa'} 'e' vImaS jIH je

Careful.  {tam} is a funny word.  What does the exchanging?  What is
exchanged?  The way you have used it, you seem to think that one word
"exchanges" another.

Personally, I see the exchanger as the subject of this sentence, and the
things exchanged as the objects.

<jIlengDI'> <jIlengpa'> je vItam
I exchange {jIlengpa'} and {jIlengDI'}.

(I'm hesitant about this method, too.  Perhaps one exchanges only one object,
and the exchange is done for the benefit of another object -- using {-vaD}.)

Also, you've used {'e' vImaS jIH je}.  When used as "also," the {je} comes
after the verb, not the subject.  This should probably be {'e' vImaS je jIH}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level