tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 19:44:04 1997

Re: KLBC story: puyjaq

ja' Qov:
>>  It's just the catalogue number of a solar system.  TN-2478.
>>But my response still holds.  I very much doubt that Klingons would cataloge
>>things by the phonetics of the language.  They probably have symbols with
>>names, or something like that, and we don't know those names.
>
>Huh?  Of course they would use symbols. Probably pIqaD symbols. I don't have
>a pIqaD keyboard.  I half to use the Okrand transcription.  Is it too much
>to imagine that there exists at some point in the history of the Empire an
>organization that uses solar system designations consisting of two letters
>and four numbers?  Every Earth country I have ever been to uses the symbols
>of its writing sysem as part of codes on things like license plates and
>customs forms. Why the hell do you 'very much doubt' Klingons would do the
>same? Is this really a lingustic point?

I've got to side with SuStel here; the transcription we're using is intended
to render the *sounds* of the language.  Okrand goes out of his way to avoid
referring to the phonetic symbols used in TKD as "letters", and continually
talks about them as "sounds".

Maybe there are symbols that are used the way you want to use them, but I
don't think "naked" consonants work here.  For one thing, how *would* you
pronounce them?

[Qov sounds irritated]
>Perhaps the foregoing will explain why in response to recent suggestions
>that I submit to jatmey, I say without hesitation: "never".  jatmey is a
>literary journal.  The works in it are there for evaluation/appreciation on
>their literary merit.  I do not wish to put my work in this environment. I
>would perhaps submit my work (in languages that have markets for fiction) to
>a commercial publication, under purely mercenary motivation.  I would NEVER
>submit it to a literary journal.
>
>End of rant.

vaj lut Dun Hal SuqHa' Hoch.  jabbI'IDghom laDbe' nuv puS.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level