tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 19:43:48 1997

Re: Direct address (was Re: KLBC: imperatives)

ja' Holtej:
>> ...You can't find a place to invoke apposition in {HoD tujqu'choH QuQ}.
>
>I'm not sure I follow you.  Why can you not use apposition in your sentence?

Because I said {tujqu'choH}, not {tujqu'moH}.  {tuj} doesn't have an
object here; {HoD} cannot be interpreted appositively.

>Apposition is simply an NP that acts as a parenthetical expression, to add
>more information about the main NP (which can be in any normal NP
>position).

But there is no NP here to add to parenthetically.

>If you meant something else, then I'm confused.

You *are* confused, but only because you misread my sentence.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level