tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 30 11:09:22 1997

Some Hu'tegh fine writers

: In a message dated 97-06-27 03:34:03 EDT, voragh writes:
:
:<< There are some Hu'tegh fine writers on this listserv! >>
:
: Beware!  Hu'tegh is an invective, an exclamation.  It is not an Adjective.
:
: peHruS

No kidding. It was a joke! Jeez!! I was referring to a line in Crispin's
pro-novel SAREK: "He's one Hu'tegh fine gunner!" Okrand provided her with
(or vetted her use of) some few Klingon expressions (most interestingly, the
use of -oy on personal names during a... umm... romantic encounter). Not
that she may not have mangled them a bit afterwards.

Besides, obscenities can often be very flexible in the hands of a skilled
curse warrior, particularly when using two languages at once. Take the use
of "damn" in English just off the top of my head: it's a verb ("Damn you to
hell!), an invective (Damn! That was close!) as well as an adjective (Damn
Yankees!) not to mention some more elaborate (damnation, damnible, G-d damn,
etc.) or even sanitized (Darn! Durn it! Dag'nab it!) forms.

I hope we'll get some more insights into "the fine art of Klingon cursing"
in the new *Klingon for the Galactic Traveller*.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level