tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 29 23:10:18 1997

Klaa

Someone wrote:

nom yIghoSqu' to mean "maximum speed."

I would translate this Klingon sentence back into English as "Go at a very
fast speed."  And, I would translate "maximum speed" then as {nomchu'
yIghoS}.  I don't like {nom yIghoSchu'}, either.  There must be another way
to handle this sentence!

In a sense, I am engaging another controversy deliberately.  We know for sure
that adverbials (MO called them adverbials, not adverbs, for some reason
about which I know nothing) can take the two of the verb suffixes known as
rovers:  {-be'} and {Ha'}.  Although this is the only evidence that
adverbials can take verb suffixes, I am really stretching the issue here by
affixing {-chu'} to the adverbial {nom}.

Now, there's a Pandora's box.

peHruS

Back to archive top level