tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 28 20:51:29 1997

Re: KLBC story: puyjaq

At 07:44 PM 6/28/97 -0700, SuStel wrote:
>[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
>> At 10:10 AM 6/28/97 -0700, SuStel wrote:
>> >I responded to Qov's story and she wrote back:

>Now, I'm sure that Klingons DO use codes such as the one you attempted, but
>I'm also sure that we don't know anything at all about it.  I mean, how do you
>pronounce such a code?  Do you say a {tlh} and then a {ng}?  Do they have
>names?  This is not about what sort of code they'd use, but rather whether
>Klingon phonetics are used in coding at all.

I wonder if you would be more accepting of the code if I had used Klingon
sounds that are represented by a single Engish letter.  Would tb-4567 be any
less improbably a designation than the made up "rIlqa' Hovtay'?"

>Yo!  I wasn't criticizing!  I was pointing out that your lack of detail caused
>me to misunderstand what was happening.  Originally, all I read was that the
>navigator was avoiding planetoids, and suddenly somebody accidentally hit the
>warp drive.  It didn't make much sense to me.  Just because something makes
>perfect sense grammatically doesn't mean that it's understandable.

If it was genuinely not understandable, then I wanted to know.

>> It irritated mt when Deborah Kay was getting
>> told every chapter of her story "Klingons wouldn't do that,"  right along
>> with the "wrong prefix" corrections.
>
>That's funny.  Deborah doesn't seem to have any complaints.  In fact, she's
>been sending me her stories privately to help her with them.  All I ever hear
>is praise.  If she thinks I'm doing something wrong (besides my slow response
>time; I'm almost finished with part 5, Deborah!), I certainly wish she would
>tell me.

It itrritated ME. Deborah has no objections, and told me that herself.  I
was giving MY reaction to the comments, trying to explain that it wasn't a
response specifically to me being criticised. I didn't intend to use her a
shield from behind which to launch an attack.

>wrong?  Does everyone WANT me to be only a grammar-checker?  If you say a
>sentence which is grammatical, but which doesn't make sense with the rest of
>the story, do you want me to keep quiet?

If it doesn't make sense with the rest of the story, I want to know.  If it
doesn't make sense with the body of Star Trek episodes I have never seen,
(mostly everything since 1991) then it will confuse me.

>interlinked.  If you believe that Klingons wear smiley-face T-shirts and sing
>"Don't Worry, Be Happy," then I can show you how to translate things like
>"Have a nice day," but that's just not how the language is used!  It wasn't
>designed for that, and so you're saying grammatically correct nonsense.

In a story, Klingons can wear purple fingernail polish and go to flower
arranging classes. That's what fiction is about.  But as the practice of
this forum appears to be otherwise. I will no longer write stories about
Klingons.  I don't watch the shows, so I don't know what the Klingons are
supposed to do, how fast their ships are supposed to go, how they catalogue
their stars.  I will write stories about Bemorians (bemornganpu'), who have
the culture, physics and society that you will see in my stories.

>> Am I being unreasonably sensitive?
>I think perhaps you are.
Then it's my problem, and I apologize for bothering you all.

>> One of my very first posts to this list was a story.
>::scratches head:: You want people to read your stories, but not to think
>about them?  Not to ask you questions about them?  Not to form opinions about
>them?

::shudders:: NO! I want them and me to learn tlhIngan Hol from them.  I only
write my practice sentences in the form of stories for challenge and to make
them more interesting. They are meaningless fiction.

>I'm sorry, but there's no way you can stop me from voicing my opinion: I liked
>your stories, and there's nothing you can do about it! :-P

I have several options.  I can stop writing them, stop posting them, stop
reading follow-up to them or post screaming offended follow-ups to any
follow-ups that take them as anything other than grammar and vocabulary
practice. I could scream abuse at you until Holtej bans me from the list.  I
could wheedle Mark Shouslon to remove them from the list archives.  They're
not FOR liking on literary merit. I wrote them because people specifially
asked for things to read that were not in-jokes, or part of a long thread
they hadn't followed.  If someone likes them because they are easy to read
or they think they are good examples or they are interesting to read, then I
am satisfied.

>Look, Qov, I am really at a loss to understand why you're upset.

Then you must be right that I am being unreasonable.  I'll try not to leave
myself open for that to happen again.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level