tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 25 16:16:49 1997

Re: We Need A Klingon Speaking Environment

>Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 13:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Neal Schermerhorn" <[email protected]>
>
>If we do decide to go that route, I hope there are folks out there who could
>supply some useful instructions on use of the MUSH. I am sure it is fun to
>use; that is not in question! I have tried it numerous times - I am BAFFLED by
>it.Do we want to require that the newer users, such as myself, learn a million
>DOS-style codewords and command structures (in other words, learning the wrong
>language!), while those of you with experience must teach us the ropes of
>MUSHing while you'd rather be practicing your Klingon!

Erm, you need to know maybe three commands to use the MUSH effectively to
chat, though more if you want to program, etc.  I don't think that's
unreasonable.

Telnet to keve.kli.org, port 2218.  Type "create name password" to create
your character, substituting the name you wish to use and the password you
want associated with it.  If you already have a character use "connect name
password" to connect to it.  If you want to look around type "connect guest
guest."  These don't count as commands you need to learn, since the screen
is showing them to you right then.

Then you're in the MUSH.  There are directions on the screen which you may
choose to follow if you wish.  But generally, the main commands you need:

command:                               yields:

"words                                 you say "words" so that anyone in
                                       the room with you hears them.

:words                                 everyone in the room sees
                                       "yourname words", helpful for things
                                       like ":smiles happily."

WHO                                    shows a list of who's on.

page name=words                        relays "words" to the person named,
                                       no matter where the person is,
                                       provided the person's on (see WHO)

@te #32                                teleports you to room #32, without
                                       having to navigate the hard way.
                                       Room #32 is the Happy Forehead, a
                                       good place to make our meeting
                                       place.

Anything else you NEED to know someone else will be able to tell you if you
need it, or it will be on the screen as an "exit", a direction in which you
can go from where you are.

That doesn't really seem unreasonably complex to me.  No more so than IRC,
which also has plenty of those /commands.

Sure there are dozens of MUSH commands.  But you don't NEED them just to
talk.

~mark

Back to archive top level