tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 24 16:36:05 1997

Re: ghuHmoH

charghwI' wrote:
|Perusing through the word list, I realized that Okrand's use of
|{ghuH} is transitive (TKW p56: {tlhIngan quv DatIchDI' Seng
|yIghuH.} "When you insult a Klingon's honor, prepare for trouble."

Another example comes from ST3 when Kruge returns to his ship from the
Genesis Planet to confront the Enterprise which has just arrived:

	may' yIghuH
	"Battle Alert!"   (lit. Prepare for battle!)

|That would imply that {ghuHmoH} could properly be used as:
|
|SoHvaD yIHvetlh vIghuHmoHpu'. "I have warned you about that tribble."

There is also this un-subtitled line in ST6 which someone shouts as Kirk &
McCoy are escorted to Gorkon's quarters in the passageways of Kronos One
after it is torpedoed:

	ropyaH yIghuHmoH!

Meaning something like "Get sick bay ready (for casualties)!" You have to
listen closely but the line is confirmed in the Closed Captions--it's even
spelled correctly.

BTW, if your TV can display Closed Captions switch them on the next time
you watch ST6. They're quite informative in this film (not so much in ST3
and ST5 though). Nothing startling, but there are some nice details you may
not have heard over the music, sound effects and other voices.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level