tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 23 15:53:47 1997

RE: KLBC: Klingon desktop items

[email protected] on behalf of Michael DeMatteo wrote:

> I can see where you can use {nuqneH} in a store or being a host to a
> party or at Quark's Bar (i.e. tlhutIh nuqneH). What about the following
> greeting:

Well, there are no infinitives in Klingon.  In completely proper Klingon,
"What do you want to drink" ends up as a question as object, and I don't like
that.  In this case, I'd just say {nuq Datlhutlh} "What will you drink?"

Still, there's the possibility that your phrase could be used in Clipped
Klingon, but it doesn't sound right to me.

> jipong qor.
> My name is Kor.

There are two known correct ways to say this.  The first is

qor 'oH pongwIj'e'
My name is Kor.

The other is

jIHvaD qor yIpong
Call me Kor.

(jIHvaD *Ishmael* yIpong)

However, this greeting only works if the person doesn't already know your
name!  If you are known, just get down to business.  Stop all that fussing
over the weather, your bad back, and the latest gossip from the bar.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level