tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 19 23:35:41 1997

Re: mu'mey vIneHbogh

In a message dated 97-06-19 21:09:17 EDT, charghwI' writes:

<< {qIp} seems to be used like "hit" in English, where it either
 refers to a physical impact, or to the successful assault on a
 target with any directional weapon. I can walk up to you and
 hit your shoulder with my hand, or I can take a high powered
 rifle with a scope and crouch hundreds of yards away and hit
 your shoulder.

 {mup} seems to be used like "strike" in English where there is
 less of a sense of successfully assaulting a target with a
 weapon and more focus on the physical impact. Meanwhile, "hit"
 and "strike" are rather synonymous in English just like {mup}
 and {qIp} are apparently synonymous in Klingon.

Since this discussion came up, I have been wondering about "agency."  I have
not been able to determine clearly whether {qIp} means to strike, hit, etc.
by means of an agent while {mup} means to strike, hit, etc. without the use
of an agent.  Since I can't prove this one iota, it remains a question to me.

peHruS

Back to archive top level