tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 18 17:49:36 1997

Re: mughmeH qeq

[email protected] wrote:

> Let's see how you all translate this:  SIS rIntaHDI' pumpa' nagh'a' qaSpu' loS jaj

While I am by no meand the BG - or any other kind of Grammarian - I have
serious problems with your use of {rIntaH}.  TKD p.41 says that {rIntaH}
is a special verb used to emphasize the completedness of an action
described by another verb: "the action denoted by the preceeding verb is
a fiat accompli: it is done, and cannot be undone."  Okrand says that
{rIntaH} is usually translated into English the same as {-ta'}, and
{-ta'} implies an action that was deliberately undertaken.

{SIS} certainly doesn't seem to me to be the kind of thing that is
deliberately undertaken, or that is done, and cannot be undone... unless
you're going for poetic or dramatic effect.

I avoid {rIntaH} unless I'm certain the usage is correct: {vavqoqlI'
vImuH.  rIntaH.}

{SISpu'DI'} is almost certainly better in this case.

"As soon as it has finished raining, before great rocks fall, four days
have happened."

taQ mu'meylIj.  vImughlaH 'ach vIyajbe'.

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]