tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 17 19:06:43 1997

RE: KLBC: chu'

jatlh William Cody:

> > vIchu'.

If you are saying "I am new" (you should probably include an English
translation with your posts until you become more proficient with Klingon, so
that I can see what you are trying to say), then you don't need an object.
You don't "be new something," you just "be new."  {jIchu'} "I am new"
indicates that there is no object with its prefix {jI-}.

> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh.  roj chopong.

On this list, you should mark proper nouns (names) with asterisks or some
other mark.  I presume you're calling yourself "roj."  Admittedly, we
sometimes don't bother with the names that are very familiar to us (though we
should).  People often refer to me in Klingon without marking my name; most
people know that SuStel is my chosen name.  The same goes for others like
charghwI' and ghunchu'wI'.

Note that {roj chopong} means "You (singular) call me 'roj.'"  You've made a
statement.  In Klingon, this would work much better as a command.

There's some debate over the best way to use the verb {pong}.  Marc Okrand has
used it in an example and made the name the object, with the person being
named as the "indirect object" (by using {-vaD} on it).  I'll mimic his format
with your sentence:

jIHvaD *roj* yIpong
Call me "roj."

Or, you can bypass the problem altogether by saying:

*roj* 'oH pongwIj'e'
My name is "roj."

>  tlhIngan Hol Dun ghojDaq
> > vIneH.

Hmmm?  I'm afraid I do not understand what you are trying to say.  You
shouldn't put {-Daq}, a noun suffix, on a verb like {ghoj} "learn."

Aha!!!  I think you are trying to say "I want to learn the wonderful Klingon
language"!

There are no infinitives in Klingon.  When you use {neH}, you just stick it
(with appropriate prefixes and suffixes) after the sentence which fully
describes what you want.  See TKD section 6.2.5.

What do you want?  {tlhIngan Hol Dun vIghoj} "I learn the wonderful Klingon
language."  This is the sentence which describes what you want.  Now just add
the statement that you want it:

tlhIngan Hol Dun vIghoj vIneH
I want to learn the wonderful Klingon language.

{-Daq} is a noun suffix, which indicates that an action is happening in, to,
on whatever noun it is attached to.  For example:

Qe'Daq jISop
I eat in the restaurant.

The basic sentence is {jISop} "I eat," and then I add the word {Qe'} with the
suffix {-Daq} in front to show that the act of me eating happens in the
restaurant.

jatlh *wIvqu'*:

> pablIj tughmoHlaH ghaH neH.

That's {lughmoHlaH}.