tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 20:24:40 1997

Re: Word Survey

Steven Boozer wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Bill Willmerdinger wrote:
>
> |Weaver SE (Steve) wrote:
> |> Anyway, I could use a few opinions on a few words here:
> |>
> |> wa' - luHwI'
> |
> |Hmm.  "Yankers" doesn't necessarily means "pliers" to me; 90% of the
> |time, when I use pliers I use them to grip something (a nut, a bolt) or
> |to pick something up.  A "yanker" sounds more line the claw side of a
> |claw hammer!
>
> vaj *Ho'Qel SoHbe'ba'!
> (Then you're obviously not a dentist!)

bIqarchu'!  lupwI' chamwI' jIH.

According to my Webster's, "pliers" comes from the archaic meaning of
"ply" as "to bend or be bent", thus we could call them {SIHwI'}
"bender".  This meaning fits *my* everday usage of pliers better than
{luHwI'} "yanker".

Note: I decided to use {lupwI'} for "car".  I dislike using {lupDujHom}
- I've needed to refer to both shuttlecraft and ground vehicles before
in the same sentence and couldn't figure out how.  CK gives {lupwI'} as
"jitney", which is a term for a taxi-like bus - or a British term for a
small car!  In this day and age, the closest equivalent is probably
"minivan", and Kahless knows I work on enough of those....

--
Qob la' (tlh.w.D. quttaj ra'wI')
tlhIngan Hol yejHaD qhojwI'

[email protected]