tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 16 17:11:52 1997

RE: KLBC:

jatlh qarnoS:

> Well, I'm still trying.

not yIjegh.

> I tried "I intend to hunt down the Enterprise and
> destroy it". I know it is probably a bit ambitious for someone at my skill
> level but I have to learn sooner or later!
> I got a bit confused with "destroy" because as it says in Will Martin's word

> list, destroy is listed in TKD as being a noun & verb. I'm not sure what it
> is
> but since TKD gives an example of it as a verb I'm using it as such in my
> example.

TKD lists {Qaw'} as "destroy (n)."  This doesn't make sense; why use a verb in
the translation if the word is supposed to be a noun?  Since we also have the
word {QIH} "destruction" which IS a noun, it's likely that {Qaw'} is supposed
to be a verb, and that the listing as a noun was an error.

The mention of {Qaw'} in Will's word list is a bit confusing.  It's saying
that while {Qaw'} is defined as a noun in the dictionary, it's also shown to
be a verb on page 49 (see the first word on that page).  Furthermore, it's
also used as a verb in TKW p.211.

> I worked out the following:
>
> 'entepray' vIwam 'ej vIQaw'moH 'e' vIHech
>
> It is hopefully something like "I intent to hunt down the Enterprise and
> cause
> its destruction".

{Qaw'} means "destroy," not "be destroyed."  Normally, the subject is the
person doing the destroying.  {vIQaw'moH} means "I cause it to destroy
(something)," not "I destroy it."  For this, you need to say only {vIQaw'} "I
destroy it."

Otherwise, this sentence was beautiful!  It looks like it wasn't too ambitious
for you at all!

'entepray' vIwam 'ej vIQaw' 'e' vIHech.

> qatlho' (That SHOULD be "Thank you")

It is, though it is only speaking to one person.  You seem to be addressing
more than just me, so this should be {Satlho'}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level