tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 15 08:02:49 1997

RE: Addition to KLBC: usage of -vaD

jatlh K'ontay:

> I believe I have made a mistake in my previous message. Rather than:

> SoSwI'vaD nobmey vIje'
> for
> I buy my mother gifts

> I now think I should say:

> nobmeyvaD SoSwI' vIje'
>
> Am I correct?

Oh dear.  No.  If you ignore the {-vaD} noun for a minute (and you should
always be able to do this and get a sentence which is accurate, although less
informative), you get {SoSwI' vIje'} "I buy my mother."  How much was she,
then?

Adding the noun back in, {nobmeyvaD SoSwI' vIje'} means "I buy my mother, the
beneficiaries of this action were the gifts."

You had it right the first time:

SoSwI'vaD nobmey vIje'.

Please see TKD p.180.

--