tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 15 07:41:36 1997

RE: KLBC:Usage of -vaD

jatlh K'ontay:

> I buy my mother gifts.
> SoSwI'vaD nobmey vIje'
>
> Would this sentence be grammatically correct? I don't really like the vIje'
> but I am unsure of a better way to do it.

This is exactly how you do it!  {nobmey vIje'} "I buy gifts."  {SoSwI'vaD
nobmey vIje'} "I buy gifts for my mother."

(But shouldn't it be {vavwI'vaD nobmey vIje'}?)

> SoSwI'vaD nobmey je' bIH jIH
>
> This just doesn't sound right to me. Which is correct? Or am I off on both
> of them? Or are they both correct?

This is not correct.  I'm not even quite sure of how you got this.  The object
always precedes the verb, the subject always follows it.  Then, just plug in
the words you need.  The object is {nobmey} "gifts," the subject is {jIH} "I."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level