tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 09 23:06:00 1997

Re: jItlhIj

In a message dated 97-06-09 11:18:08 EDT, ~mark writes:

<< >DIloraQ ghunchu'wI' jevaD jIchID 'ej jItlhIj

 *ugh* jIpar.  {*Dloraq*vaD *ghunchu'wI'vaD je jIchID} yIja'.
 "conjunction"Daq DIp moHaq yIlanQo'.  >>

I have just re-read Section 3.3.5 on adding syntactic markers to nouns and
discovered that ~mark is correct that {-vaD} attaches directly to the noun.

I have just re-read Section 4.4 on adding  syntactic markers to nouns
modified by verbs (i.e., adjectives) and discovered that my idea is possible
in that {-vaD} attaches to the final element of the phrase made up of a noun
and its modifiers.  OTOH, I did discover that Section 4.4 attaches the
syntactic marker only to verbs modifying the noun.  I could not uncover any
evidence that the syntactic marker might attach to a conjunction which is the
final element of a noun phrase.

Ergo, I accede gladly to the less cumbersome arrangement:  {DIloraQvaD
ghunchu'wI'vaD je jItlhIj} instead of {DIloraQ ghunchu'wI' jevaD jItlhIj}.
 Thanks for your advice, ~mark.

peHruS

Back to archive top level