tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 08 08:53:35 1997

RE: Object wIjatlhlaH'a'

jatlh peHruS:

> I get the feeling we can put verbs of speaking after that
> "sentence" which is spoken, thus identifying the "sentence" as the Object of
> the verb of speaking.

I get the feeling we can put verbs of speaking before that "sentence" which is
spoken, thus identifying the verb of saying as the Object of the "sentence."

Er . . . no, that's not it.  Then why can you put the quotation on either side
of the verb of saying?  Obviously, the position of the quoted sentence is NOT
related to the other sentence.

qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'

You cannot say that the position of {HIqaghQo'} shows that it is the object.
(I'm not claiming that it definitely is not, though that is my opinion.)

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level