tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 09:06:36 1997

Re: Sojtaj*

ja' Soqra'tIS

#1 I, Soqra'tIS, wrote that. Not "Hovjaj", which means "Stardate" and is
the time of the message.
#2 {chonnaQ} is listed as a seperate item. I do not know if it is a
compound noun,
      composed from {chon - (n) hunt [KCD]} and {naQ - (n) cain, staff
[TKD]}. Can we get a
      ruling from the Grammerians??
#3 Although I wrote {SojchonnaQHom*}, I still have visions of those
little hors d'oeuvres swords
     and spears (with tlhInganpu' extending their pinkies. HA!).
[shuddering at THAT picture!]
#4 {SojnaQ*} "food cane" or "food staff", hmm. The first sounds like
something edible
     (ala Sugar cane) and the second sounds like the staff the hunted
animal is tied to for the barers
      to carry back to camp
<<<

ja' Thaddaeus Vick

     No, I don't think they do use forks, which is why I used <taj>.
If a Klingon was forced to consider using a tool to eat with, it would
seem that the most convenient and obvious tool would be his dagger.
"Fork" is perhaps a bad translation of what I meant, but I couldn't
find a word for "tool".
     This would mean "food-stick".  Sounds more like a candy bar than
a fork. :)
 We could use a general word for "tool"
though.
<<<

to the question of fork usage:
ja' SuStel

Indeed they do. Check out the meal Commander Riker eats on his exchange
tour
of duty.
<<<

To me, <chonnaQ> seems to be a compound noun. It would make sense. We do
have both words <chon> and <naQ> in TKD.
Extrapolating the concept of this compounding lead me to <SojnaQ>. I agree
that this could also be thought of as skewer, but with proper context: i.e.
<SopmeH SojnaQ taj je' vIlo'>... Well you see what I mean.
I also agree that without context, it could mean anything from sugar cane
to skewer.

SI'IluD
wa'Hu' jIboghbe'

Back to archive top level