tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 05:18:42 1997

veS wej bov tayqeq wej bov je

	qoror here.  Since my "veS wej 'ay'" translation, which I've improved a
bit by substituting "bov" for "'ay'," plus a few others, and also thanks to
SuStel's translation of the "tayqeq wej bov," dubbed by me, I'm attempting the
whole segment in which this is in.

	Here goes!  (deep breath)

	The history of every major Galactic civilization has gone through three
distinct and recognizable phases -- those of Survival, Inquiry, and
Sophistication, also known as the How, Why, and Where phases.  For instance the
first phase is characterized by the question "How can we eat?", the second by
the question "Why do we eat?", and the third by the question "Where shall we
have lunch?"

	wej bovna'Daq taHpu' Hoch tayqeq'a'.  "mayInjaj," "matlhobjaj,"
"matayjaj" je bIH bovmeyvam'e'.  "chay'," "qatlh," "nuqDaq" je bIH je.  "chay'
maSop" tlhoblu'DI', bov wa'DIch 'oSlu'.  "qatlh maSop" tlhoblu'DI', bov cha'DIch
'oSlu'.  "nuqDaq megh wIje'" tlhoblu'DI', bov wejDIch 'oSlu'.

	The history of warfare is also subdivided, though here the phases are
Retribution, Anticipation, and Diplomacy -- Thus Retribution: "I am going to
kill you because you killed my brother", Anticipation: "I am going to kill you
because -I- killed -your- brother", and Diplomacy: "I am going to kill my
brother and then kill you on the pretext that your brother did it."

	veSmey luwavlu' je.  DaH "bortaS" "leSSov" "ghar" bIH.  vaj "loDnI'wI'
DaHoHpu'mo' qaHoH" jatlhlu'DI', bov wa'DIch 'oSlu'.  "loDnI'lI''e' vIHoHpu'mo'
jIH qaHoH" jatlhlu'DI', bov cha'DIch 'oSlu'.  "loDnI'wI' vIHoH 'ej 'e' ta'pu'
loDnI'lI' 'e' vIpummo' qaHoH" jatlhlu'DI', bov wejDIch 'oSlu'.

	Meanwhile, the Earthman Arthur Dent, to whom this can only be of academic
interest as his only brother was long ago nibbled to death by an okapi, is about
to be plunged into a real intergalactic war.  This is largely because the
spaceship that he and his companions have inadvertently stolen from the
Restaurant at the End of the Universe has now returned itself on autopilot to
its rightful time and place.  Its rightful time is immediately at the head of
one hundred thousand black battle cruisers.

	tera' *Arthur Dent* wa' loDnI HoH chemvaH, yIvlu'mo', vaj SovvaD neH Daj.
tugh qIbmey veS 'el.  qaS poHDaj lughDaq jaHpu'mo' *Restaurant at the end of the
Universe*vo' Duj'e' lunIHpu'bogh ghaH juppu'Daj je.  wa'bIp may'Duj qIj DevwI'
'oH.

Back to archive top level