tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 06 03:10:29 1997

Re: jatlhwI' pegh

Fri, 6 Jun 1997 peHruS ghItlh:

> You did it; but, I really don't like it.  tlhIngan Hol does not allow for
> double negatives.
> Even to say "I don't say anything" renders in tlhIngan Hol as {pagh vIja'},
> not as {pagh vIja'be'}.

True, but if you don't mind me sidetracking for a second, peHruS, I have
to admit the Galactic "I don't say anything" sounds very unusual, in both
Galactic and Klingon. Perhaps something more profound would be "I (will
not/refuse to) speak" <<jIjatlhQo'>> would be more profound, or depending
on the situation, like a refusal to give information <<De''e' qaja'Qo!>>
"I won't tell you the information!". The second one.. <<pagh vIja'be'>>,
if my translation is tight enough, runs something on the lines of "I don't
say nothing."  which seems even worse than the stereotypic squealer
catchphrase of "I didn't say nothing!" <<pagh vIja'be'pu'>> (unsure of
grammar for this one, seems okay though) :)

Q'ISto'va yab'etlh (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Communications Officer (IKV Monarth, KAGAUS)
E-Mail: [email protected]
Hovjaj: 97428.91

Back to archive top level