tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 05 18:49:29 1997

Re: jajlo'

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> Can {Qong} take an object?  Maybe.  In English we can say "I slept the
> night away."  Maybe you can in Klingon.  Maybe in Klingon it would be
> correct to say "I slept the hard bed," meaning that was the place I lay
> while sleeping.  Or maybe even perhaps "I slept the attractive officer,"
> though the sleep/sex association is likely a bit too human to expect.  But
> the object would NOT be the person who is made to sleep by someone else:
> that's what -moH is for.

I would disagree on this, even using a phrase like "I slept the hard bed"
would not be on equivalent lines of "I slept the night through" even
in Klingon. In the later you're providing an action which was made with
the use of an object (the hard bed) while in the former you're indicating
a continuous action that took place during a certain time period.

I'm not sure how well my grammar is, but I think you're more or less after
the following...

QongDaqDaq let vIQongpu'
(I slept on the hard bed)

yaS 'IH vIQongpu'
(I slept with the attractive officer... You can't use -Daq with yaS as you
cannot sleep "in" or "at" or "to" an officer...  though sleeping *on*...
hrmmm... the exception which disproves the rule? :) )

But I'm afraid this would be just taken as literally having sleept
with the officer, not as in English been taken to mean "I had sex with the
officer". For that, I believe it would be something on the line of:

yaS 'IH vInga'pu'
(I had sex with the attractive officer)

I was almost tempted to use -chuq in the action, but remembered this only
applies to plural subjects, but I think it's pretty obvious who is doing
what with whom.

juStaHvIS jIQongpu'
(I slept the night through... literally: While the night passed, I slept.)

I'm not sure about -moH in the sense of Qong, one does not cause
themselves to sleep, they just do it.

Q'ISto'va yab'etlh (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Communications Officer (IKV Monarth, KAGAUS)
E-Mail: [email protected]
Hovjaj: 97427.90

Back to archive top level