tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 04 20:57:14 1997

RE: KLBC: yIn QaDwIj

Stardate 97425.37 jatlh Q'ISto'va:

> > wIvqu', law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^---------------------------,
> mu'tlhegh'e' jIyajbe'. mughghach'e' jIHDaq yInob.            |
> (I do not understand the sentence, give me the translation.)-'

He's trying for "wIvqu', linguist for the masses," which I believe he
translates in his sig.

But let's look at your sentence.  "I do not understand the sentence."  When
you are saying that you do not understand something, that something is the
object of the verb {yaj}.  In this case, {mu'tlhegh'e'} is the object of
{yaj}.  With an object, you cannot use the verb prefix {jI-}, you must use
{vI-}.  {mu'tlhegh'e' vIyajbe'}.

"Give me the translation."  How typically English.  You tried doing something
with {-ghach} (which utterly failed, as using {-ghach} without an intervening
suffix means the word is terribly marked), and you used {-Daq} instead of
{-vaD}.  You don't literally hand the translation to someone, you read it to
them.

So how can we do this with *verbs*, as Klingon works well in?

jIHvaD yImugh
Translate it for me!

The object of {mugh} is NOT {jIHvaD}.  It is {'oH}, which I can leave out if I
like.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian