tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 04 16:54:07 1997

RE: KLBC: -jaj on indefinite subjects

[email protected] on behalf of Jason Coyle wrote:

>   I was looking to say "May you always be challenged", and I came up with
>
>     reH DaqaDlu'jaj
>
>   or maybe
>
>     DaqaDlu'taHjaj

These are excellent!  The first one wishes that you will have challenges to
overcome forever, while the second wishes that you be challenged continuously.
 The first one can be considered more "long term" than the second.

>   My question:  Can -lu' be translated this way with -jaj?  I can't think
> of a more "active" way to phrase this, short of  *reH qaDmey Danejjaj*
> which isn't quite the same thing.

Your usage was prefect.  {-jaj} simply indicates that the *speaker* (not the
subject) wishes whatever the word says.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian