tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 15:17:59 1997

RE: Star Trek Klingon history

jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> 	lu'! mu'mey vIghItlhpa' DuH vIQubnIS wa'DIch
> 	     (First I need to think the options before I write the words)

I don't know if "think the options" works in Klingon.  It certainly doesn't in
English.  The standard phrase would be "consider the options."  This may work
in Klingon:

DuH vIqelnIS
I must consider the options.

You were doing great with using {-pa'}, but you goofed at the end.  {wa'DIch},
or any ordinal number, is not used after a verb.  It is only used after a
noun, and then it means that the noun is the "first" (or "second" or "third,"
etc.) of that noun.  The English adverb "first" is not used in Klingon (or, if
it is, it hasn't been discovered yet).

mu'mey vIghItlhpa' DuH vIqelnIS
Before I write words, I must consider the possibilities.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level