tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 13:44:58 1997

Re: KLBC: Words for assassin & blade

> translate what you don't understand.
> ********Which is the reason for the original request.  SOMETHING in
> tlhIngan Hol should mean "assassin" if there is an object called an
> "assassin's blade/knife".
> Form follows function and language follows culture.  There is a need to
> distinguish an assassin's knife from a warrior's knife, so there
> *should* be a way to express the difference.  I do not think that
> "killer" (HoHwI') would be translated as Assassin.  Killers are not
> always assassins, though assasssins are always killers.  Assassin comes
> from Hashishem (sp?), a very special kind of killer from the 12th
> Century.  Indian Thuggees were religious killers

Drugged up religious killers!  There religious convictions were enhanced by
hashish.

 but not assassins, for
> they preferred random acts of murder.
>
> > What's a good Klingon word for "assassin"?  I'd go with "chotwI'" most
of
> > the time, perhaps "HoHwI'" in some situations.

As assassination is commonplace as a means of both rising in rank, and
elimination of unfit superiors, or "honorable retirement" as Worf called
it, it is most certainly not considered a crime in and of it's self.
Therefore, I don't like using "chot."  Since "assassin" usually implies
killing by stealth, I would prefer:

			HoHwI' pegh, "Secret Killer."

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level