tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 02 08:17:08 1997

Re: bIQ HoS

peHruS wrote:
>In a message dated 97-05-30 18:52:41 EDT, Qov writes:

>Thank you for stories which give insight into word-meanings and usages.

choquvmoH.

> Although I can read all of your writing, I am not sure what a few of the
>concepts mean.  In line one, {HeDbe'}:  "A rock does not retreat."  What does
>this mean in English?

Qov takes a deep breath and once again, calmly this time, explains the
concept of imagery.  I know you are computer scientists, not poets, folk,
but I refuse to believe that simple imagery is stretching tlhIngan Hol
beyond its limits.  We have plenty of examples in the proverbs.

<HeDbe' nagh> means exactly: "a rock does not retreat."  I am describing the
stoicism and apparent strength of the rock, as compared to  ...

>Paragraph two line one:  {reH Haw'}:  What about {reH ghoch nej}?  Of course,
>you follow with "underground."  Your goal for the water seems to be
>stalagmite/stalactite building, not arriving at a river or ocean.

... water, which is always running away and hiding underground.

>Paragraph three line two:  {ba'taHvIS nagh, vangtaH bIQ}:  I question {ba'}.
> Until you explain to me why your use of {ba'} is better, I recommend
>{vIHbe'}, or even the parallel of {vangtaH bIQ}:  {vangbe'taHvIS nagh}.  Even
>if you like {ba' nagh}, how is it preferable to {Qot nagh}?

While the rock sits, water is continually acting.  I could say the rock
doesn't move, but having personified --it's a valid poetic device, can
anyone tell me of a language in which it is forbidden?-- the rock and water
as brave and timid warriors, I continue the image and say the rock sits.
Sitting is more stoic than lying.

lutHommeywIjvaD ghotHey vImojmoHlaHbe'law' Dochmey.  vuDraj tIja', meq
yIngu': laDwI'pu'mo', Holmo', laHwIjmo' joq?

Back to archive top level