tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 01 17:35:09 1997

Re: KLBC: More "originality" (wejpuH)

On Sat, 31 May 1997 12:55:21 -0700 (PDT)  Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' W'ISto'va:
> >"Thanks, I owe you one."
> >"You owe me six, but who's counting?"
> >
> >(If anyone can translate this directly, I'd appreciate this!)
>
> - qatlho'.  SoHvaD jIDIlnIS.
> = jIHvaD javlogh bIDIlnIS, 'ach toghtaH 'Iv?
>
> It's a bit idiomatic, I'm afraid.

qatlho'. tugh may'Daq qaQaHnIS!
javlogh 'e' Dalay', 'ach jISaHbe'.

Perhaps it is not as funny in Klingon, but then the whole
situation doesn't sound very funny in Klingon. pIj lay qoH
quvHa' 'ej Hagh qoH neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu' net Sov.

> >PS: BTW, Is there a word for spit/sputum or "to spit"? I wanted to add a
> >little humor to my Klingon with a phrase like "Pardon my spit" or "I'm
> >sorry, It appears I've (been spitting/spat while I spoke)" etc.?
>
> nujwIjvo' bIQ vIbachpu' 'e' yIlaj!

yIQ mu'meywIj. [The speaker moves in nose to nose and stares
challengingly into the listener's eyes:] bIqay''a'?

That's about as close to apologizing for spitting as most
Klingons get.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level