tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 01 07:57:50 1997

RE: Re: KLBC: Sufix #9 ghach

[email protected] on behalf of Neal Schermerhorn wrote:

> ghob Sov je chevHa'lu'
> Virtue and Knowledge cannot be separated, lit. Someone cannot separate...

Before I correct you, I'd like to thank you for making me notice my previous
error.

Of course, you need the {lu-} prefix on the verb, because you have a plural
third-person object.

However, {luchevHa'lu'} does not mean "One cannot separate."  It means "One
un-separates."  For "unseparate," I don't see how you can better translate
this than "put back together."  "One puts back together" is NOT what we're
going for in this sentence.

It's got to be {ghob Sov luchevbe'lu'} "One does not separate virtue and
knowledge."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian