tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 30 21:30:49 1997

"exclusive rights" to tlhIngan Hol

The last word from Viacom regarding "Secret Fighting Arts" was received by
us today.
We will have to begin destruction of remaining inventory as they will not
allow donation to non-profit organizations.  On the bright side we will
have lots of good photos and video footage to haunt them with later.

Of main interest to this list is Viacom's position on the Klingon language.
 Their attorney, Jonathan Zavin of Richards & O'Neil, has clarified their
position:

"With respect to the Klingon language, it is Paramount's position that it
has the exclusive rights to this wholly-original and creative fictional
language..."

They go on to say that we can only make private, non-commercial use of
Paramount's licensed Klingon-related products such as the Klingon
dictionary, etc..

That's about it,

'ach DaH maghobbej jay'

HetaQ