tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 28 10:08:30 1997

RE: KLBC: Insult

ghItlh SuStel:

> [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:

>> how is this for an insult:
>>
>> chopbe' SoSlIj
>>
>> Your mother doesn't bite!

> The insultee would probably laugh at you; you need to use {-lI'}
instead of {-lIj}.

> The classic response to this is, "I used {-lIj} to make it more
derogatory."
> However, I'm quite certain that Klingons would see it as bad grammar,
rather
> than a bad insult.

I read this one on the plane home from the qep'a'. TKD 3.3.4 (page 25)
says "It is grammatically correct to use the regular possessive suffixes
with nouns referring to beings capable of speech (as in <puqlIj> your
child), but such constructions are considered derogatory; <joHwI'> for my
lord borders on taboo".

pagh

Back to archive top level