tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 27 16:57:39 1997

RE: KLBC:Book 1

[email protected] on behalf of Kenneth Traft wrote:

> The exercise was to translate the sentence into Klingon (The bus is coming.)

> They have learned the prefix <mu-> at this point, but the sentence to
> translate does not have the object "me" in it.

This seems to me to be lacking in the number one major thing that all serious
Klingonists need to learn: how to recast sentences into a more appropriate
Klingon phrasing.  {ghoS lupwI'} simply does NOT mean "The bus is coming."  It
means, "The bus is traveling on course."  If you specify the course, {mughoS
lupwI'}, then it's right.  If you don't want to change the Klingon, then
change the English.

{ghoS lupwI'} is being used because it mimicks the English sentence.  Your
reasoning is that it's simplified for beginners.  I think that you're
oversimplifying {ghoS}, and teaching the wrong meaning of that verb.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level