tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 26 14:21:10 1997

Re: KLBC: Introduction to the Black Fleet

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:

> tam logh.
>
> bir logh net Sov.
>
> chuSmo' SuvwI' yIn 'e' wIlIjlaw'

It took me a minute to parse this, but it's very good!

> 'ach qawbej vay.

vay'.  With a glottal stop.

Your English was, "But some surely remember."  This seems closer to

'ach qawba' vay'.

You don't have full evidence, but you don't really have any doubt as to the
truth of it.

> lIjlaHbe'chu' yo' qIj vajpu'.

{lIjlaHbe'chu'} "perfectly cannot forget."  This is pretty weird.  Even
reading the English, I'm not sure what you're after.  I think you mean this:

lIjbe'bej yo' qIj vajpu'
The warriors of the Black Fleet most certainly do not forget.

If you meant something else, just say so.

> loghDaq QIch tu'lu'be'.

That's an interesting way to put it.

> jatlhlaH vaj mInDu' neH.
>
> jachlaH lurDu'Daj 'ej Haghlah Huy'Du'Daj 'ach ghogh gahjbe' HughDaj.

That's also interesting.  Watch those spellings.

> vItvam mughojmoH vavwI' 'ej ghaH ghojmoH vavDaj.

Oh dear.  This is one of those funny cases which we really don't know how it
works.  {vItvam mughojmoH} MiGHT work, but then again, it might not.  Can
{vIt} even be the object of the construction {ghojmoH}?  It's up in the air.

Here's a way to get around the problem for now.

vItvam vIghojmeH mughojmoH vavwI'

> DaH lut qaja'.

Probably okay, it's hard to tell.  What's the correct object of {ja'}?

> yo' qIj ra'bogh 'aj qaja'.

{ja'} is definitely NOT "tell about."  Use another verb, like {Del} "describe"
or {QIj} "explain."

> HeghDI' lijpu' pongDaj.

{lIj} is "forget," not "be forgotten."  To do this, you're going to need the
indefinite subject, using {-lu'}.  See TKD 4.2.5.

Also, the aspect suffix {-pu'} says that as soon as he died, he name had
already been forgotten.  I presume you mean that his name was forgotten at the
moment of his death (or soon afterwards).  Drop the aspect suffix.

HeghDI' pongDaj lujlu'

> DaH 'aj Hurgh 'oH'e' pongqoqDaj neH.

When using a pronoun in a "to be" sentence, the {-'e'} goes on the final noun,
not the pronoun.

DaH 'aj Hurgh 'oH pongqoqDaj'e'

Where to put the {neH} is tricky.  Maybe after the {'oH}.  Maybe after one of
the noun phrases.  You'll have to decide, depending on which one you're
changing.

> lutDaj 'oH'e' lutvam.

lutDaj 'oH lutvam'e'.

--