tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 26 12:18:43 1997

Re: Cursing

ja' ter'eS:
>I just realized that there's a whole area of Klingon vocabulary for which
>we have no words at all!  I'm referring to adjectives you can use for
>cursing.

nuqjatlh?  Klingon *has* no adjectives, of course, but there are plenty of
verbs that we can use for similar purposes.

>True, we have epithets (basically, names you can call someone),
>and interjections (words that express your attitude to a situation), but
>no verbs we can use to modify a single noun to express our feelings about
>it.

I have absolutely no idea what you're complaining about.  There are verbs
galore that we can use to express what we think about things.

>Given Klingons' famed cursing skills, this seems an odd lack.

It *would* be odd, if indeed this lack were real.

>Granted, we have {qay'}, which might be such a verb, as in {Human qay' yIHoH}
>"Kill the troublesome human!".  But this seems like a pretty weak curse:
>"troublesome".  Probably {qay'} is just the tip of the iceberg.

Open your eyes, and your mind!  What's wrong with {QIp}?  {Dogh}?  Or even
{ghungbe'} or {puj} or {chuSqu'} or whatever fits the situation?

>Speaking of which, I also think {jay'} is only the tip of the iceberg, that
>there are probably lots of intensifiers in Klingon.  These would express
>finer shaded of meaning, eg. "intensity with a positive/surprised overtone",
>"intensity mixed with disgust", "intensity mixed with dismay", etc.  The
>intensifier {jay'} and the verb {qay'} are probably just the most generic
>and blandest representatives of their kind.

{jay'} might be "generic", but it is not bland.  If you want to express
surprise with an intense invective, say {mumer jay'!}  If you want to
express disgust with an intense invective, say {vImuS jay'!}  If you want
to express dismay with an intense invective, say {jIQuchHa' jay'!} or maybe
{jIpuQ jay'!}

Don't forget that {mu'qaD veS} is an art form.  You have to carefully craft
your insults.  Simply calling someone a {toDSaH} or a {Qovpatlh} is child's
play; it's just too easy.

DIvI' Hol qechmey Dogh woDQo' yablIj rIgh.
tIchbogh mu'mey DanejtaHvIS, qaDbogh mu'mey DabuSHa'taH.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level