tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 17:09:49 1997

Re: Language jokes show English speaking bias...

lab Jarno Peschier:
> I cannot really appreciate the jokes like 'ul and 'awje' after I'm
> told what UL and A&W are (I've never even heard of them). In fact,
> I cannot even recognize them as funny in any way until told.

qayajchu'.  It's isolating that this language, supposed to be equally
alien to all Earth natives, contain components that are directed at
only one group of them. Americans seem to forget that some things
that are universal to them are foreign to ninety-five percent of the
world's population.

But the jokes really are for Marc, based on his experience.  He
definitely confirmed last year that he had a neighbour (jIl) named
Jill.  He probably has a friend who can't get through a sentence
without swearing (jay'!) named Jay. He hung out in Hollywood and gave
us 'ampas - academy - after AMPAS, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts
and Something, an American organization that presents gold
statuettes, called Academy Awards (the 'Oscars') for excellence in
filmmaking.  There are probably a load of words that are personal
jokes, people's initials, licence plates, word associations and
cryptic representations that we'll never know about.

 - Qov

Back to archive top level