tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 24 16:22:14 1997

Re: vegh and the nentay'

ja' wIvqu':
>> SuvwI' mojmeH nentay' vegh ghaH
>> In order to become a warrior, he went through the nentay.
>
>     It would work in a sense.  During the nentay, the SuvwI'Hey does
>pass through ({vegh}) a double line of his friends, who are armed with
>painstiks.  You could certainly use it in a poetic description of the
>process.

Again, I don't think so.  During the nentay, one does not pass *through*
the lines.  One passes *between* them.  In the ceremony, one does not go
through an opening.  One follows a course.  If any verb would fit here
poetically, it's {ghoS}.

There seems to be entirely too much confusion about such a simple word. :-)
In the case of the rows of painstick-wielding warriors, the emphasis is on
the path itself, and there is no concept of two places being connected by
the opening.  In the case of a doorway, the fact that you leave one room
and enter another seems at least mildly important to the meaning.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level