tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 22 19:53:53 1997

KLBC: using pronouns as "to be"

I have no difficulty in understanding that "full" pronouns are the
thlingan-Hol equivalent of
the English (indo-european) verb "to be". e.g.,
{jIDoy'} I'm tired, {jIDoy'be'} I'm not tired (verbal sentence)
{tlhIngan jIH} i'm a Klingon, but what about {tlhIngan jIHbe'}, I'm not a
Klingon,
which seems correct?
To what amount pronouns used this way can be considered verbs? For example,
{tlhIngan jIHbej} means "I'm certainly a Klingon"? Or evene worse,
{tlhinganqoq
jIHbejbe'} "I'm certainly not a fake Klingon"? (more doubt about this one...)
In simpler words, do pronouns used as "to be something" obey the same rules
as ordinary verbs? If yes, {jIHwI'be'} could mean - but this is purely
stylistic -
"a thing that is not me". Or maybe {jIHbe'wI'}?

Again borderline... I need to understand the very mechanics!

Qapla' ...

Back to archive top level