tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 22 13:32:44 1997

magh betrays ambiguity

Qob la'vo':
>Possibly.  I see the "reveal" aspect of {magh} as "revealing something
>that one wouldn't normally want revealed".  The sadness which her eyes
>"betrayed" or "revealed" is not something she *wanted* others to see;
>someone or something (in this case, perhaps her subconscious mind)
>caused that hidden thing to be visible.  YMMV.

That must be the most logical reason for it, I suppose. But logically,
wouldn't betraying sadness produce the look of happiness? This is why I
think this kind of idiom bleeding into Klingon is unlikely. Just a point.

  Guido#1, leader of all Guidos
  Temporarily lacking a home page
  "Black holes are where God divided by zero."