tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 22 09:35:53 1997

Re: lutu'lu' = whom (was {vegh})

According to Terrence Donnelly:
> Maybe I'm just being stupid, but how does {lutu'lu'} translate as "whom"?  All
> I can get out of it is "They are found/observed".  {naDev tlhInganpu' lutu'lu'}
> means "There are Klingons here", right?  Could you use it in a sentence with
> the "whom" meaning?

That was not explained very well. {lutu'lu'} does NOT translate
as "whom" in any way at all. It is just that in English, most
people use the word "who" when formally they should be using
"whom", much like most Klingons use the word {tu'lu'} when they
should be using {lutu'lu'}.

In other words, the more formally correct sentence is:

{tlhInganpu' lutu'lu'}

though most Klingons most of the time would say:

{tlhInganpu' tu'lu'}

Is this clearer?

> -- ter'eS

charghwI'