tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 15 10:26:15 1997

Re: Saj, 'ay' wejDIch

>Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 20:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>[email protected] on behalf of Deborah Kay wrote:
>> tugh qaStaHvIS jaj, nI'choH poH Hurgh.
>
>This is weird.  Let's examine it a little closer.
>
>tugh qaS jaj
>the day occurs soon
>
>tugh qaStaHvIS jaj
>the day occurs soon, while this is the case
>
>Is this what you mean?
>
>nI'choH poH Hurgh
>
>You might just use {ram}.  I'm not sure what you're getting at, unless you're
>talking about seasonal changes of daylight time.  This seems to work.  Is
>{tugh} meant to modify {nI'choH}?

It worked for me.  Punctuation might have helped.  "tugh, qaStaHvIS jaj,
nI'choH poH Hurgh."  (no, I don't think that adverbials are so rigidly
placed in complex sentences.  But that's another post).  That is, "Soon,
during a full-day, the dark time became longer."  i.e. soon, the nights
lengthened, per day.

~mark

Back to archive top level