tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 14 19:39:56 1997

Re: KLBC: tlhIngan rep

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> -On CK they talk abaout that time is dawn to dawn, what do they mean with
> that ?

They mean that instead of our system, where the day starts at midnight and
ends at the next midnight, a Klingon day starts at dawn and ends at the next
dawn.  ("Minas Tirith"Daq chaHtaH "hobbit"pu' 'ej chaHvaD rap ghu'.  chaHvaD
ramjep tagh jaj 'ej qaSDI' latlh ramjep rIn jajvam.  "Minas Tirith"nganpu'vaD
jajlo' tagh jaj 'ej qaSDI' latlh jajlo' rInlaw' jajvam. -- The hobbits in
Minas Tirith noticed the same difference in systems.)

The Jewish day is different, too.  That one starts at sunset and ends at the
next sunset.

> BTW, does the klingon Homeworld rotate in exactly 24 hours?

Probably not, but remember, the 24 hour system is a cultural borrowing from
the Federation (and a cheezy way to make telling time entirely too easy for us
Earthers).

> -in the resaurant they translate "bon appetit" as something like peSop, but
> that would just mean EAT! (??)

Sure!  Roughly used in the same way by Klingons as "bon appetit" might be by
the French.  Remember, this isn't a literal translation, but a translation of
the *concept*, as used by the Klingon mind.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level