tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 11 12:04:20 1997

Re: Okrand on /jatlh/

Marc Okrand was quoted as saying on MSN:
> The object of jatlh "speak" is that which is spoken. Thus, it's OK to say
> "speak a language," for example:
>
> tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh "you speak Klingon"
> (tlhIngan Hol "Klingon language," Dajatlh "you speak it")
>
> But it's also OK to say "speak an address, speak a lecture," for example:
>
> SoQ Dajatlh "you speak an address" or, more colloquially, "you deliver an
> address" or "you make a speech"
> (SoQ "speech, lecture, address," Dajatlh "you speak it")
>
> To say simply:
>
> jatlh "he/she speaks"
>
> implies "he/she speaks it," where "it" is a language or a lecture or
> whatever.

ter'eS complains:
>My only real point in this post was to draw attention to that "_whatever_"
>that
>MO slipped in his explantion....

I think you're making too much of this word.  Read the explicit list of what
is "OK" to be spoken, and you'll probably see that this "whatever" is just a
way to avoid saying "or lecture" or further listing things along that line.
At least that's how *I* read it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level