tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 10 06:24:37 1997

Re: KLBC: Trainning the begginers

[email protected] on behalf of TPO wrote:
> >> 6. they were all drunk, the commander fell and broke the engine
> >> Hoch chech 'ej pumta' romuluSngan la' 'ej jonta' ghor ghaH
> >
> >"They were all drunk."  Remember what the subject is.  {chech Hoch}.
> >
> >"The commander fell."  Although it's not wrong, I don't see any need to add

> >{-ta'} to this sentence.  You're describing a sequence of events, so keep
> >them
> >all in the sequence.  {pum romuluSngan la'}.
> >

> wouldn't the -ta' suffix mean that he intentionally fell?
> -pu' would mean that it just happened; it wasn't planned, etc.   qar'a'?

Yes, but that's not ALL they mean.  When you use these two suffixes, you are
also indicating that the action is completed.  Just saying a verb means the
action happens.  Saying the verb plus {-pu'} means the action happens and is
completed.  Saying the verb plus [-ta'} means the action happens, is
completed, and was meant to be completed when performed.

So, if you've got a sequence of three verbs, all happening one after another,
you don't want to have some of them have aspect markers and some not.  It
would no longer be a sequence.

--
SuStel                                       -- qoH vuvbe' SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level