tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 21:59:22 1997

-moH suffix

I recently posted a 'formula' for setting up -moH constructions. In short;

[S] cause(s) [A] to [V] [O] -> [A]-vaD [O] [prefix S-A]-moH [S]; if verb is
intransitive, -vaD is not necessary, since there is no object from which to
differentiate the agent.

Here are some examples I'd like the grammarians to inspect and rip apart if
necessary.  They are in some cases intentionally pushing the envelope - I want
to see how far we can go. I have marked variant sentences, which I cannot
translate, with a question mark.

SuwamtaHvIS petIv!

I teach you Klingon = I cause you to learn Klingon
tlhIngan Hol qaghojmoH

Show me the planet = Cause me to see the planet.
yuQ HIleghmoH

It makes me want to shout! = I shout - It causes me to want that.
jIjach 'e' muneHmoH
(?It makes the doctor want to shout)

I make your frustration bother you. = You are frustrated - I cause that to
bother you.
bImogh 'e'vaD SoH vInuQmoH

The captain makes the facts you deny insult the gunner.
ngoDvam Datembogh baHwI' tIchmoH HoD
(?The captain makes the facts the admiral denies insult the gunner?)

The drunk Terran makes the bartender upset the Ferengi.
verengan QeHmoH chom 'e' qaSmoH tera'ngan chech

I cause myself to dread my shoreleave.
leSpoHwIj jIHaj'eghmoH

I need to make the Terran eat the qagh.
tera'nganvaD qagh vISopnISmoH

I make the Terran need to eat the qagh..
qagh SopnIS tera'ngan 'e' vIqaSmoH

Qermaq

Back to archive top level