tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 13:45:22 1997

RE: KLBC: imperatives

ghItlh SuStel
>...However, we can easily
>conceive of a case where the difference between address and apposition is
>important:
>
>Haw'choH jagh, HoD.
>
>Is it "The enemy begins to flee, captain," or is it "The enemy, the captain,
>begins to flee"?  Without context, it could be either.
>
>(Heh . . . or is it "The enemy captain begins to flee"?)<

I think Capt. Krankor did that, almost identical, in one of his early columns.
Let me see... Yes, the second.  In the very complex sentence near the end, he
uses "jagh maghwI'" for "enemy traitor."

But there isn't much difference in meaning between "enemy captain" and "the
enemy, the captain."
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level