tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 06:28:12 1997

Re: KLBC: Decisiveness

[email protected] on behalf of Tony Pierce wrote:
> SuStel,
>
> I have been toiling over how to say "Decisiveness". My best guess is
> something like "wuqlaHghach".

Excellent!  Perfect!

Remember, though, that a single word translated may not be the best for all
sentences.  For example, you might prefer to use this as a verb, in the
following example:

wuqlaHbe'mo' qagh ro'qegh'Iwchab je je'.
Because he could not decide, he bought both the gagh and the Rokeg blood pie.

Whereas, while you *could* say

wuqlaHghach ghajbe'mo' qagh ro'qegh'Iwchab je je',

it's not making the best use of Klingon.  Each sentence will have unique
needs.

> But yet I think that -egh should be in there
> also, because decisiveness is the ability of one to decide. So maybe it
> should be "wuqeghlaHghach" "wughach" more or less would mean decision plus
> -laH it would mean "able to make a decision" plus -egh it would mean "one's
> ability to make a decision" Did I mess up anywhere in there?

{-'egh} has that additional glottal stop; TKD left it out at first.
{wuq'eghlaHghach} means "ability to decide upon oneself."  {-'egh} means that
you do something TO yourself, not that it is done by yourself.  See TKD 4.2.1.

Ohhhhh . . . you're doing the postal course!  {butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'!}
(That would explain why this word lends itself so nicely to being
{-ghach}ified!)

--
SuStel                                       -- qoH vuvbe' SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level