tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 09 05:01:09 1997

Re: KLBC: Trainning the begginers

[email protected] on behalf of Eduardo Fonseca wrote:

> >              *              qatlh jor romuluSngan Duj?             *

> 1. DujDaq jorwI' tu' lu'
>     (There was a bomb in the ship)

Make sure that's just one word: {tu'lu'}.

> 2. Duj Sorghlu'
>    (One sabotage the ship)

maj.

> 3. HoH'egh chaH
>    (They commit suicide)
>
> 4. Their ship hit an asteroid
>     (ghopDap qIp Dujchaj)

Having followed the recent discussion of the difference between {qIp} and
{mup}, I would be more inclined to use {mup} here.

Also, you might try it with a little more color:

ghopDapDaq paw' Duj
The ship collided with an asteroid.

> 5. HoS'a' chuyDaH
>     (The thrusters were overpowered)

Actually, this either says "Were the thrusters strong?" or "The thrusters'
great strength."  Neither is what you meant.

You might be able to use {HoSqu' chuyDaH} "the thrusters were too strong," but
this sentence would need a bit more context to explain itself.

> 6. HIq tlhIngan tlhutlhpu'mo' Duj SeHlaHbe' chaH
>     (They were not able to control the ship because they had drunk tlhIngan
> ale)

"Klingon ale" is {tlhIngan HIq}.  Any time you've got "Klingon <something>"
(or Romulan <something>, etc.), the race's name comes first.

tlhIngan HIq tlhutlhpu'mo' Duj luSeHlaHbe' chaH

Notice the {lu-} on the verb.  This is one that most people, including Okrand,
tend to forget.

Good sentence!

--
SuStel